Eye strain is one of the most common problems especially among office workers who use the computer everyday. There are, however, a number of exercises that you can do for your eyes to alleviate eye strain and they do not take very long at all to do. This article has a couple of tips on eye eye strain before talking about a simple exercise called palming which is renamed for helping relieve eye strain.
Tips to alleviate Eye Strain
Eye strain is often caused when you are focusing on something still for too long. For example, an office worked who is typing a document or using a computer for an extended period of time is likely to be subject to some kind of eye strain at some point in his / her working life. It's not a serious condition, but it can be if you do not react to it. Remember, it is your body's way of saying that something is not quite right – your body is giving you a sign so that you can do something about it.
If you are an office work on a computer all day then you should get into the habit of looking around the office at objects that are further than 20 feet away every 10 minutes or so. This gives your eye a break from the screen and relaxes the muscles in the retina.
The Palming Exercise for Eye Strain
Palming is a very easy and quick exercise for alleviating eye strain. The focus here is trying to achieve a state of relaxation. Here's how you do the exercise: –
– Rub your hands together so that they are nice and warm
– Place one palm over each eye and cup them so that no part of your hands are touching the eyes or eyelids
– Rest your elbows on the table in front of you or on a hard surface. You should now be in a comfortable position, with your eyes completely covered and your fingers crossing each other over your forehead. Your eyes should now be in complete darkness
– Now, the key is to think about something that makes you relax and relieves tension all over your body – not just your eyes.
– Do this for as long as you can get your body into a relaxed state.
If you have trouble relaxing or get bored then walk around or move a bit to get the blood flowing again. After a bit of practice you start to enjoy your times of relaxation and look forward to it during the day. A simple 5 – 10 minute exercise of palming can really make a huge difference to your eyes and the strain that it is being put under.
Source by Selin Aydoshan