Having pet animals is very common these days because it helps busy people relate stress. Many people consider having dogs, cats, and goldfish but if you do not have much space, you might consider getting a hamster or a gerbil. Both are small animals which you would certainly love. In case you want to get one but, here are some pet care tips to help you in providing proper care for your chosen pet:
Taking Care of Hamsters
- You need to make sure that those cages are clean at all times. You also need to make sure not to place their cages with direct sunlight. It is important that you pick a cozy place and a place which you tend to visit frequently.
- Make sure to cover the cage floor with pine wood shavings since it helps absorb moisture and it is definitely non-toxic.
- Make sure to provide clean food and water on a daily basis.
- Make sure that you have enough chew toys since hamsters love to chew.
- You also need to make sure that you have a space inside the cage designated as your hamster's bed.
- It is also important that you have an exercise wheel inside the cage as hamsters love to exercise.
- You can also let your hamster play in your room from time to time so as your pet would not be bored.
- Make sure that you wash and clean the cage at least once a week or as often as you can.
- Lastly, do not attempt to bathe your hamsters as they know how to do it themselves.
Taking care of Gerbils
- Gerbils mostly live in underground tunnels so you might want to make your own tunnel for them to live.
- Gerbils eat green vegetables but make sure that you give them enough to eat and not too much since they tend to hoard food. The green veggies might just rot if you give your pets a lot of food.
- Make sure to put a branch on their cage so they could play.
- Have some cardboard tubes in their cage so they would have something to chew and run on. They also love to dig and burrow so be sure to provide materials so as they would do their thing.
- Be sure to clean their cage at least once a week and try to look for mild disinfectant so as to get rid of germs.
These are some important pet care tips for your Hamster and Gerbils. One thing that you need to bear in mind is that if you can not promise to find time and do all these things, then maybe you need to have someone at home who can take care of your pets.
Source by Bernard Yao