How to Take Care of a Hamster?
Brief-haired and extended-haired (teddy bear) hamsters are clean and captivating companion animals that are very best kept individually.
How to Take Care of a Hamster?
A properly-balanced hamster diet plan consists of:
- Higher-good quality hamster lab blocks and restricted amounts of grains, vegetables, fruits and Timothy hay.
- Clean, fresh, filtered, chlorine-free of charge water, changed each day.
- Do not feed chocolate, caffeine or alcohol as these can bring about really serious healthcare situations. Keep away from sugar and higher fat treats.
Points to keep in mind when feeding your hamster:
- Fresh meals and water ought to often be offered.
- A restricted quantity of grain, vegetables, fruits or Timothy hay can be provided each day but ought to not exceed 10% of their total diet plan
- Vegetables and fruits not eaten inside 24 hours ought to be discarded.
- Hamsters acclimate properly to typical household temperatures, not to exceed 80°F be cautious of intense temperature adjustments. The habitat ought to under no circumstances be in direct sunlight or in a drafty location.
- Habitat ought to be plastic, metal or glass and escapeproof with a strong bottom there ought to be a lot of area for the hamster to exercising and play. It is very best to offer the biggest habitat feasible.
- 1-two” of bedding ought to be placed in the habitat correct bedding involves higher good quality paper bedding, crumbled paper bedding, or hardwood shavings. Cedar-primarily based items are not advised.
- Home adult hamsters separately. Distinct forms of little animals should not be housed collectively.
- Play through the evening and rest through the day (nocturnal) but can adjust to your schedule.
- Effortless to deal with but could nip if abruptly awakened from a nap or startled.
- Chew on objects to keep incisor teeth, which develop constantly make sure they have a lot of wood chew sticks or mineral chews.
- Clean and disinfect the habitat and its contents at least after a week with a three% bleach option. Rinse and let to dry fully prior to putting the hamster back into the habitat.
- Get rid of wet spots each day alter bedding at least after a week, or a lot more typically as essential.
Grooming & Hygiene
- Hamsters remain clean and hardly ever need to have baths, but can be spot-cleaned with a damp washcloth or unscented infant wipes if required. Some hamsters delight in an occasional dust bath. Hairless hamsters advantage from a little quantity of non-toxic aloe-primarily based lotion rubbed into their skin to maintain it soft.
- It is typical for a hamster’s teeth to be yellow cleaning is not essential.
- Seek advice from with a veterinarian if a hamster’s teeth appear also extended.
Indicators of a Healthier Animal
- Active, alert, and sociable
- Eats and drinks often
- Healthier fur and clear eyes
- Breathing is unlabored
- Walks generally
- weight loss
- abnormal hair loss
- diarrhea or dirty bottom
- distressed breathing
- eye or nasal discharge
- skin lesions
- overgrown teeth
|Wellness Challenge||Symptoms or Causes||Recommended Action|
|Diabetes||Frequent urination and lethargy.||Seek advice from with a veterinarian.|
|Diarrhea||Loose stool triggered by poor diet plan, pressure, internal parasites, unclean housing, or other illness.||Seek advice from with a veterinarian to establish bring about and remedy.|
|Malocclusion||Overgrown teeth.||Seek advice from with a veterinarian to have teeth trimmed often.|
|Mites||External parasites that bring about hamsters to shed patches of hair.||Seek advice from a veterinarian for remedy.|
Ask a retailer companion about Petco’s choice of books on hamsters and the wide variety of private brand items offered for the care and happiness of your new pet. All private brand items carry a 100% cash-back assure.
For the reason that all little animals are possible carriers of infectious illnesses, such as Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis, Rat Bite Fever and Salmonella, often wash your hands prior to and right after handling your little animal or habitat contents to enable stop the possible spread of illness.
Pregnant girls, kids beneath the age of five, senior citizens and people today with weakened immune systems ought to get in touch with their doctor prior to buying or caring for little animals and ought to contemplate not obtaining a little animal as a pet.
Go to the Centers for Illness Handle at cdc.gov/healthypets for a lot more facts about little animals and illness.
Note: The facts in this Care Sheet is not a substitute for veterinary care. If you need to have further facts, please refer to the sources on the following web page or get in touch with your veterinarian as proper.
Created with and authorized by a certified veterinarian.