Toothache is a result of poor dental condition, and consistants in mild or chronic or sharp, excruciating pain around teeth and jaws. Toothache can be quite tormenting, making our daily life go topsy-turvy. Improper brushing techniques, usage of poor quality tooth paste, feasting on junk food items, mental stress and worries result in a poor dental health, and may often lead to toothache. Tooth problems like cracked tooth, dental cavity, dental abscess, and recession or exposed tooth root or nerve endings within the pulp can cause toothache. Toothache may also be the result of periodontal gum disease such as inflammation of soft tissues and abnormal bone loss around teeth or disorders of jaw joint like temporomandibular joint. Dental x-rays can help one find the cause of toothache. An aching tooth becomes very sensitive to cold or heat and aches all the more while chewing.
Toothache sometimes may be a symptom of sinus, external and inner infection, angina and heart attack. Scaling or removal of plaque deposits, tooth splinting, tooth extraction, dental filling, and root canalling procedures are various treatments to combat toothache. Analgesics like acetaminophen and ibuprofen may be taken to counter toothache. Toothache is often accompanied by swelling of gums, discharge or bleeding from gums, redness along the gum line and bad breath. Often the ache may radiate from tooth to cheek, jaws and ears.
Home Remedies for Toothache
1. Biting on a cotton ball soaked in clove oil gives relief from toothache.
2. Soaking a cotton ball in a mixture of lemon juice and a pinch of asafetida, and placing it at the base of the aching tooth, lessens pain.
3. A paste made out of 3 tablespoons of grounded black pepper, water and a pinch of salt may be applied on the aching tooth to get relief. This is an effective toothache home remedy.
4. Chewing a small onion daily keeps away toothache. Juice of onion destroys toothache causing bacteria.
5. Eating raw lime is an effective home remedy for tooth ache. Vitamin C rich lime juice improves dental health.
6. Juice of wheat grass can serve as an effective anti-bacterial mouth wash, giving fast relief from toothache.
7. Chewing guava leaves can less toothache.
8. Chewing spinach leaves can also check tooth decay and ache.
9. One may pour 3-4 drops of vanilla extracts on aching tooth to get immediate relief.
10. Application of the paste of bayberry bark along with vinegar on the cavity of an aching tooth gives much relief from pain.
11. One may boil 5 grams of peppermint in a cup of water, and drink the water frequently to get relief from toothache.
12. A paste of turmeric and mustard oil, if applied on the aching tooth, gives much pain relief.
13. A decoction prepared by boiling 2 inch Margosa bark, 5-6 cloves in a cup of water, training and then using it as a mouth wash can control toothache.
14. Chewing of garlic also helps to fight against toothache.
15. Massaging gums, jaws and teeth gently with 3-4 drops of mustard oil added with a pinch of salt can less tooth ache and help to maintain healthy teeth, gums and jaws.
Source by Dr Andrew Napier