Tips To Prevent Obesity
Obesity is no laughing matter, and can cause serious health problems including heart disease, diabetes, and depression. However, there are some simple tips to prevent obesity.
- One of the easiest ways to prevent obesity is to never skip a meal, least of all breakfast. If you skip breakfast, you will tend to overeat and potentially put on weight later.
- Control portion sizes. Rather than eat large meals at infrequent intervals, eat small meals at regular intervals, so you are never starving.
- Do not take recourse to fad diets because they are not sustainable. Eat balanced meals that are low on calories and high on nutrients. Include all food types in the meal, from fruits and vegetables to whole-grain foods.
- Steer clear of carbonated drinks, empty calories and junk food. Drink enough water, eight glasses a day.
- Eat lots of high-fiber food because it has fewer calories, and hardly any fat. Digestion of fiber-rich food is slow, and your blood sugar level is balanced. You will not feel hungry often if you eat fiber-rich food.
- When you eat out, you can easily choose healthier options. Gorge on salads or soups and go slow on the main course or dessert.
- Get adequate protein because you do not want to lose muscle. Eat soya, a protein bar or peanuts. But do not overdo the protein bit, as it could put you at risk for kidney related problems.
- Do not binge – there are situations when eating becomes a replacement for anger, sadness or extreme joy. Also, identify your triggers, and keep track of what you eat or how much you eat under certain situations. Do not eat while watching a game on television, for instance.
- Get regular exercise. Exercising moderately for at least 30 minutes every day will keep those calories at bay. You could take up a fun form of exercise such as Zumba or dancing.
- Having a partner for exercise helps because it brings in a sense of motivation and accountability. You can exchange notes and push each other to achieve your targets.
- Keep track of your weight, so you detect how much weight you have gained early on, and lose it before it becomes a huge problem.
- Get enough sleep, because lack of sleep can make you put on the pounds.
There are certain medications that can help you shed excess weight but they should not be bought over the counter. It is best to seek the advice of a center that offers weight loss treatment . In spite of getting enough exercise and controlling your portion size, you may sometimes put on weight, owed to health issues or genetic reasons. If steps such as exercise, diet or medication are not going to solve your problem, you may have to resort to weight loss surgery.
Your doctor is the best judge of whether you should opt for surgery or not, or what kind of surgery you would need to undergo. Surgery is not a miracle cure and you would still need to diet, exercise and follow a healthy lifestyle.
Source by Swetha Rakesh